Los Olivos Zero Energy Home Design
The first priority of the design was to minimize the building energy needs.
A combination of energy efficiency measures were incorporated to create a
comfortable yet highly energy efficient home.
- 1.5" slab edge insulation (extruded polystyrene) with termite barrier
controls winter heat loss and summer heat gain.
- Large areas of flooring tile to improve summer thermal comfort.
- Low-E2 Milgard
with vinyl frames.
- U-factor= 0.35, SHGC= 0.28,
- South, east, and west windows
are shaded by generous overhangs.
- R-13 cellulose insulation
- 5/8" gypsum wallboard for increased interior
- Tile roof
- TechShield Radiant
- R-38 attic insulation
- Compact fluorescent lamps for permanently wired lighting fixtures