This manual presents practical, real-life recommendations on how to design and build homes in Florida. It contains information specific to our state's climate and lifestyles, rather than the overly general information found in most residential building publications.
The book was developed in 1992 as an all-inclusive guide for anyone interested in constructing homes that are efficient. It is packed with information that will help you plan such homes, choose the best materials and products for the homes, and if you are a builder or developer - sell and profit from them.
The files are all in PDF format. The file sizes are listed to enable you to decide, depending on your internet connection, how long they will take to download.
Entire Manual (162 pages, 10 MB)
Cover, Forward, Acknowledgements and Table of Contents (7 pages, 0.4 MB)
1. Why You Should Build Energy-Efficient Houses (5 pages, 0.4 MB)
2. How to Market Energy-Efficient Houses (5 pages, 1.3 MB)
3. Site Selection and Planning (9 pages, 1.5 MB)
4. Energy-Efficient Home Design (23 pages, 2.4 MB)
5. Energy-Efficient Foundations and Floors (8 pages, 1.2 MB)
6. Energy-Efficient Walls (14 pages, 2.2 MB)
7. Energy-Efficient Windows and Doors (10 pages, 2.2 MB)
8. Energy-Efficient Roofs, Ceilings and Attics (9 pages, 1.3 MB)
9. Energy-Efficient Comfort Conditioning Equipment (22 pages, 6.1 MB)
10. Energy-Efficient Appliances (12 pages, 1.6 MB)
11. Amenities (9 pages, 2.3 MB)
Appendix A - Economics of Energy-Saving Features (25 pages, 1.6 MB)
Index (4 pages, 0.1 MB)