FSEC Policy Advisory Board
December 11, 2009
Attendees: Paul Allen, John Anderson, Sena Black, Tommy Boroughs, Howard Bryant, Griff Carrison, Sean Christiansen, Pete DeNapoli, Mike Draper, Mike Faas, Steve Gorman, Larry Hufford, Colleen Kettles, Syd Kitson, Randy LaBauve, R.E. LeMon (via phone), Jim Lentz, John Masiello, Ted McCullough, Roger Messenger, Kevin Noonan, Louis Rotundo, Sharon Smeenk (on behalf of Nick Guarriello). M.J. Soileau, Lynda Weatherman, Denise Young
Guests: David Bartine (Lighting Science Group Corp.), Nick Gladding (Ruden McClosky), John Lambie (DwellGreen), Buck Martinez (FPL), Justin Sobol (FPL)
Chairman Tommy Boroughs called the meeting to order at 10:10 a.m. and welcomed the Board members and guests. PAB members, guests and FSEC staff introduced themselves.
Motion made and seconded to approve the Minutes of the July 24, 2009, meeting. Minutes approved as submitted.
- Dr. Fenton briefly discussed the UCF Board of Trustees meeting which was held at FSEC on September 17, 2009, and presented eight slides and a short video about FSEC that was shown to the Trustees and visitors.
- Dr. David Block was introduced and gave a presentation entitled “Florida’s Solar Energy Workforce Development Programs.”
- Dr. Fenton then gave a presentation entitled “Solar For Schools and Emergency Shelters,” which also had input from Susan Schleith and Bill Young. This program will run from December 2009 through 2012 and has been funded in the amount of $10 million with $1 million of cost share provided by UCF.
- Buck Martinez, Senior Director of Project Development for FPL, gave a presentation entitled “Meeting Future Energy Needs in Florida” and led a discussion of solar energy in Florida and FPL Group’s renewable energy portfolio.
- Dr. Fenton presented “Emergency Shelter Electrification Legislation” for powering all of Florida’s 1800 emergency shelters with clean, dependable power.
- The meeting broke for lunch at 12:30 p.m. and reconvened at 1:15 p.m., at which time Nick Gladding presented an update on Florida Energy and Climate Commission activities and led a discussion of policy issues and some win-win-win ideas.
- Tommy Boroughs led a discussion of federal energy legislation and upcoming energy issues for the state of Florida. Much discussion occurred about the importance of Florida to develop a Renewable Portfolio Standard.
- A discussion of Board membership and other business was conducted. Tommy Boroughs suggested that we, as members of the PAB, take our recommendations to our Legislators. PAB Executive Committee and Members will be polled for a meeting to be held possibly in the mid- to end of February time frame.
- Meeting adjourned at 2:15 p.m.